"Welcome" Page >
Home Page. >
What we do >
May we help you? >
What we do ·
General information ·
Hall hire ·
May we help? ·
Site map ·
Immanuel and St Andrew
The Parish Church of Immanuel and St Andrew, Streatham
452 Streatham High Road · London · SW16 3PY · Tel: (020) 8679 6888
May we help you?
We hope you will find something to help you in this section, perhaps with prayer, the Bible, or Christian living.
There are only a few things to look at now, but we hope to add more as time goes on.
- Prayer - What?, Why? and How? If you have never prayed by yourself before, or hardly ever, this page is particularly for you. Hopefully,
others will also find it helpful!
- Prayers for you to use. A small selection of the many prayers that have been written or composed by others.
You may like to use them.
- Prayer - a Reader reflects. A brief reflection, which will hopefully stimulate some thought about prayer.
- What is the Bible? An introduction - some brief notes to help you. And a list of all the books of the Bible, with page
numbers and a note about what they are.
- A Quick Read. Can't find your way around the Bible? No time? Try some of these short cuts to selected stories.
Church Life and Worship
- Seasons? What Seasons? We use a programme called "Seasons of the Spirit", but what
exactly are these "Seasons"? Explanations of the Seasons and some of the Feasts and Holy Days of the Church year.
More - mainly on prayer
- Facing bereavement or death. Almost all of us will need to face up to the death of family members, friends and other people we care about at some time,
and each of us has to come to terms with the fact that he or she will one day die. This page of prayers and other material has been produced in the hope that it will help.
- Icons. Some people find that icons can help with prayer, meditation or their understanding of God, and a selection is offered here
for you to use. Most of them were introduced on our retreat in 2005 (see below), but here can be viewed in enlarged versions.
- Music. You may find that music can be helpful as a background to prayer, study or meditation - or while you explore our site or surf the net!
This page links to a small selection of choral music, mainly suitable for quiet listening, and some popular organ pieces (which tend to be louder!). You can also
open the page in a new window, so that you can minimise it but still access it to play more music
while you browse elsewhere, perhaps to use the Icons page.
- Immanuel and St Andrew's Retreat - February 2005. Many people valued the retreat. You may find it helpful to
see or be reminded of what took place. Some of the material we used is reproduced and this may be useful in prayer or for meditation or study.
- Links to other websites. As well as other church websites and websites of local interest our Links Page - part of our
General Information section - has links which may help you with prayer, Bible
reading and information about the church (not just Immanuel).
The pages in this part of the website are being provided to try to help you with things we hope you will want to do as a Christian - such as
pray (on your own as well as in church) and read the Bible - and with things about Christianity or the church you may feel you don't understand or want to know, such as explaining some of the practices of the church,
both in our worship and our administration.
At present it just brings together some material produced by the webmaster or already available on the website, but it is hoped eventually to have much more. Suggestions for material -
and offers of contributions - from members of the church are welcome!
There isn't much yet about church administration or worship, but you could try visiting the main Church of England website, or the website of our diocese, the
Diocese of Southwark, where you may find some useful information.
Links to the main pages are at the TOP of the page.
Page last updated
06 September 2007.
This page has been labelled to indicate its suitability for viewing by young children. For further information visit the
Internet Content Rating Association (ICRA) website.
This page has been checked for the validity of the HTML code with the
World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) HTML Validation Service.
The style sheet associated with this page
has been checked for the validity of the CSS with the
World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) CSS Validator.
Page design by David Gray 2006
© Copyright David Gray and PCC of Immanuel and
St Andrew, Streatham 2006. Photographs copyright David Gray 2002-7 except where otherwise stated.